Wednesday, October 24, 2018

What We See When We Read by Peter Mendelsund

Quotes:
When I read I withdraw from the phenomenal world. I turn my attention "inward." Paradoxically, I turn outward toward the book I am holding, and, as if the book were a mirror, I feel as though I am looking inward. ...
When I read, my retirement from the phenomenal world is undertaken too quickly to notice. The world in front of me and the world "inside" me are not merely adjacent, but overlapping; superimposed. A book feels like the intersection of these two domains--or like a conduit; a bridge; a passage between them. ...
An open book acts as a blind--its boards and pages shut out the world's glamorous stimuli and encourage the imagination.

 https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20758127-what-we-see-when-we-read
Also, the read-alikes associated with the title look quite promising for the obsessive/compulsive reader appetite.