Monday, June 06, 2016

Bibliolinking

http://digitalscholarship.unlv.edu/lib_articles/24/

Abstract

A team composed of one student and two faculty members worked in concert to develop and evaluate a training model for personnel who work with university students in transition. This model utilizes “Bibliolinking” (a newly coined word developed during this research) which is an adaptation of bibliotherapy. The primary purpose for using Bibliolinking is to establish and nourish relationships among Resident Assistants (RAs) and student residents (SRs) via a shared experience with a text such as a novel, short story, article or self-help book. Although, RAs play an important, often counselor-like role, they receive no or little formal preparation for establishing relationships. This project involved the development of a quasi-experimental model and assessment of the Bibliolinking technique. The results indicate Bibliolinking provided increased awareness of materials relevant to the needs of young college students, especially those in transition. When applied by RAs, Bibliolinking not only appeared to meet the needs of SRs but also provided RAs with a lasting and adaptable strategy for building relationships and normalizing challenging experiences.

Bibliotherapy Knowledge Acquisition Survey
____ Pre-Test ____ Post-Test

On a scale of 1-5, mark the number that most appropriately or accurately identifies your comfort and competence knowledge level related to the question. One indicates least knowledge level and five indicates the highest level of knowledge.
1     = little or no knowledge   5 = high level of knowledge. 

1. I have no knowledge of this area
2. I have little knowledge of this area
3. I have an elementary level of knowledge of this area
4. I have a fair amount of knowledge of this area
5. I have an advanced level knowledge of this area

Questions
1. I am familiar with the term Bibliotherapy
2. I am familiar with the concept of “Book Linking”
3. I could list some of the possible benefits of using book linking in my helping relationships
4. I can review a book for its usefulness in “book linking”
5. I can evaluate if a book is appropriate for certain student related issues
6. I can evaluate literature as an “easy find” for college students
7. I can use the book review to find books that would be beneficial in certain situations
8. I can use the book review to find books to read for personal growth and enjoyment
9. I can identify various way to bring books or other reading materials into a conversation
10. I know how to use books or other reading materials as a way to enhance my relationships
11. I can confidently use a book or other reading materials as tool for helping others deal with life struggles or challenges
 

 

Keywords

Bibliolinking; Developmental bibliotherapy; Residence life; University students

Disciplines

Library and Information Science | Mental and Social Health

Language

English

Identifier

DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08893670802529258

Repository Citation

Becker, K. M., Pehrsson, D., McMillen, P. S. (2008). Bibliolinking: An adaptation of bibliotherapy for university students in transition. Journal of Poetry Therapy, 21(4), 231-235.
Available at: http://digitalscholarship.unlv.edu/lib_articles/24

 http://digitalscholarship.unlv.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1023&context=lib_articles